[Virginia, showing photograph]: My brother—he was two years older than me—he was killed in a motorcycle accident down in Colombia [December 21, 1983], so this is a memorial of him. He was very good on a motorcycle and also a daredevil, as was . . . as is my sister. So you have a son named Douglas. This is my brother Douglas and I named my son Douglas after my brother.
[T. J.]: And my Douglas was a daredevil, also.
[Virginia]: Oh is that right?
This was a memorial motorcycle trip down to Peru [sic]. They went over the Andes. Well, anyway, they had a memorial for my brother up in the Andes Mountains. They built a rock memorial and so they were dedicating it.
[Kathy?]: There’s Bruce [Lee’s son] at the memorial.
[Virginia]: Yeah. That was up in the Andes Mountains in Peru.
[Steve]: That’s Dougie [shows another photograph].
[Virginia]: Is that Dougie?
[Steve]: Yup. I think I might have taken that picture.
[Virginia]: You may have.
story told by Virginia Gorman (Lee’s daughter) with T. J. Ramey (Kathryn’s son), Steve, and Kathy Courtright (Lee’s daughter) to the family reunion gathering on January 10, 2014; recorded and transcribed by Dawn (Steve’s daughter)
Can you add to the story? Please do. Write in the box below. (You may need to click “Leave a Reply” above to make the box, name, and address fields appear.)
- Anyone else in the family—past or present—named Douglas?
- Which Kindberg sister is the daredevil on the motorcycle?
- Virginia, can you guess at a date for the photo?
- I know it’s tough to relive, but if anyone wants to tell about the accident in more detail, we’ll listen.
- Bruce, do you want to tell about the memorial trip? Was the memorial trip indeed taken in July of 2010 as I’ve noted on the photo? Who all went? From where to where? How long did it take? What else would you like tell us about it?
- Family, do recall hearing about Doug’s death? Can you tell us about your experience?
- Steve, can you point us to the photo you were thinking about toward the end of this piece?